Thursday, April 26, 2012

Nicean barks of yore

I'm going to start by sharing an Edgar Allen Poe poem to Helen 
(which is the inspiration for the challenge over at Quoth the Raven, Nevermore.)

Helen, thy beauty is to me
like those Nicean barks of yore,
that gently, o'er a perfumed sea,
the weary, wayworn wanderer bore
to his own native shore.

On desperate seas long wont to roam,
the hyacinth hair, thy classic face,
thy Naiad airs have brought me home
to the glory that was Greece,
to the grandeur that was Rome.

Lo! in yon brilliant window-niche,
how statue-like I see thee stand,
the agate lamp within thy hand!
Ah, Psyche, from the regions which
are Holy Land!

I am putting this card into the following Challenges:

Quoth the Raven, Nevermore: Quest 7 to Helen
Where you create an offering to Helen.

Crafts and Me: Challenge #81 Embossing
Emboss to your hearts content.

Stamptacular Sunday Challenges: #160 Loaded with Layers
The more layers the better.

Layer, layer, layer.

and
Sweet Sketch Wednesday: Challenge #151
Create from the following sketch...

This is my card...


I took inspiration from the line...
Like those Nicean barks of yore
that gently, o'er a perfumed sea


Supplies:
Stampin' Up Tempting Turquoise, Pacific Point, Certainly Celery,
Bashful Blue and Whisper White cardstock 
Stampin' Up The Open Sea stamp set
Close to my Heart Makin' Waves stamp set
Stampin' Up Lucky Limeade ribbon
Studio 112 adhesive gems
Stampin' Up Clear and White embossing powder
Cricut cartridge Heritage
flower dry embossing template







I embossed waves, bubbles and ship.
Dry embossed flowers on the green (I quickly remembered why I haven't dry embossing in awhile, wish I had a cuttlebug or other embossing folder system)
The cameo is my homage to Helen :)

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful card to go with your Edgar Allen Poe poem. I love the torn edges and the color combo. Thanks for joining us at SSW!
    Judi SSW DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the texture on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lovve how you used the torn edges to create your card. Your Stampin Up image is beautiful. Thanks for joining us.
    Nancy SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this card is stunning! Love your colors! Thanks for joining us this week at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card! I am loving the colors, and torn edges. Thanks for joining us at SSW.
    Hugs, Heide

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card to represent a great poem! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

    Peace & Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderfully creative card, my hat is off to you!! I love the poem behind it and what fantastic colors. I really like the silhouette!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

    Patti SSW/DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a colorful card. I love your colors,and added embellishment. Have a sweet day!!! Arlana@SSW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Colleen, your have been really creative with our design this week. Love your pretty colour combo, great what you did with your papers and I do love your poem. Thanks for joining us this week at Sweet Sketch Wednesday and good luck.
    Hugs
    Kathie SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS - love your colour scheme. Thank you for joining us at QTR.
    Ike x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab card & gorgeous colour scheme. Thanks so much for joining us this week @ SSW :)

    Genevieve SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card..... like the sketch too.
    Thanks for joining us at Quoth the Reven :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is a fab card and I love how you were inspired by the poem in its design. Great job with our sketch. Thanks so much for joining us at SSW this week.
    Sharon, SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative, love the torn edges. Thanks for joining us at Crafts and Me. I also have candy on my blog HERE.

    Hugs Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So unique and original...love the colours....and the sketch... beautiful card. Thank you so much for joining us at QTR this time. BDx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeouss work :) thanks for joining the MilkCoffee Challenge.
    Hugs Ria

    ReplyDelete